Around this time every year, I like to look through my crafting supplies and see what needs restocking, replacing and refreshing before the holiday season sets in. I then set out to hand-make something special for my family and friends; over the years, I have acquired quite a few odds and ends — some come in handy and others may never see the light of day again — but all things considered and collected, I’ve found being a DIY diva impossible without these five must-haves!
Glue, glue & more glue.
I have five types of staple glue lying around my house always:
- Hot glue. It works on almost all surfaces and has the strength to handle most jobs.
- Heavy duty glue. My favorite is e6000 because it can handle almost any project and can secure heavier materials for the long haul.
- Fabric glue. As there really isn’t a good replacement when working
- Glue sticks. A classic glue stick comes in handy for all kinds of projects.
- Mod Podge. Because this tool, technically a glue, finds a special place in my DIY collection for multiple uses!
Metal cork backed ruler.
I find that having a nice ruler that stays in place is the key to accurate cuts and clean edges for most of my projects!
A small precision knife makes quick work of projects and helps to ensure clean cuts and accuracy, so your projects come out looking professional. A craft cutting board is also a fantastic addition to this.
Paint and supplies.
At any given time, I keep a variety of spray paint, puffy paint and acrylic paints on hand; if stored correctly, they can last you a long time. A good set of brushes can also go a long way when cared for.
Markers & colored pencils.
A little bit of color has never hurt anyone! Can you truly call yourself a crafter without a whole stash of different markers, pens, pencils and crayons?
BONUS SUGGESTION: Scrapbook paper.
It may sound odd, but I always have a collection of neutral patterns around for when a project needs something a little extra. I’ve found hundreds of uses for this paper like impromptu gift tags, frame backgrounds, handmade cards and confetti — the list goes on and on!
Now that you know my must-haves, I’d love to hear from you! What’s in your cabinet and what should I add to my own collection? Let me know on our Facebook page and use #CAWLMDIYMustHaves.