School is out and summer weather is here, so celebrate with a few family-friendly, outdoor DIY’s. I guarantee you’ll have a blast and your garden will be bright, beautiful and personalized all summer long!
What you’ll need:
- Paint brushes
- Acrylic or outdoor paint
- Bag of smooth river rocks (craft stores will have small bags or you can find large bags at a garden center)
- Your imagination
- Spray sealer/top coat
What to do:
- Gather some inspiration online or think about areas in your garden that could use plant markers or a little splash of color. Once you’ve got a few ideas, pick out rocks that match the shapes you’re looking for. Sometimes an odd shaped rock is all the inspiration you need.
- Clean your rocks with a small drop of soap and warm water, then rinse.
- Once your rocks are dry, let your imagination run wild and paint away. Let your little ones make abstract pieces to line your walk with, or honor your four-legged friend with a paw print paper weight.
Drip Dye Pot
What you’ll need
- Terracotta pot – any size (base optional)
- Large bottles of acrylic paint in any colors of your choice
- Spray on sealer/top coat
What to do
- Flip your pot over and place on a surface you don’t mind getting very messy (trash bags work great)
- Have some fun by dripping a generous amount of paint along the rim of your pot. The more paint you pour out the more dramatic the dripping effect will be. Alternate paint colors and amounts for a varied effect.
- Let gravity do its job and watch your masterpiece come to life. Be sure the paint is completely dry before spraying it with sealant.
- The ideas are endless, so have a little fun, get creative and maybe even a little messy!