Are you a binge buyer during the holidays? I have to admit that I am/was too. I used to wait all year and then go for it! Dropping a couple of grand at the holidays seemed like fun and it was, oh yes it was! Then I thought about it and it made absolutely no sense to me to spend money like that when it’s the most jacked up, price gouging time of the year. Since then, my retail recovery 12-step program kicked in, and I have made it my mission to share my self entertainment buying guide for the holidays:
1. Rent or buy your all-time favorite holiday movie(s) and stay at home with your friends and loved ones and enjoy!
2. Shop at the end of the year for next year’s holiday festivities. The day after Christmas sales are great, but just around New Year’s it gets even better.
3. Buy gifts of summer clothes at the end of summer and winter clothes at the end of winter.
4. Go on a date night or two with your honey boo, arrange for your babysitter to get an extra present for watching your kids.
5. Feed the hungry. Volunteer at a food bank serving up food to the poor and homeless during the holidays. It reminds us all that there are people who need our help and your children will benefit from this adventure greatly.
6. Make homemade gifts to give away. Hats, scarves, breads and meals, instead of buying retail stuff that becomes boring and obsolete to most a few months after the holidays have passed.
7. Take turns with your family and/or friends for dinner plans during the holidays, alternating between your home and theirs so that you all can catch up with each others lives.
8. Invest in a good family story that you all sit down and read together.
9. Don’t like cooking? Arrange to have a potluck style holiday meal or two, and invite all to bring their favorite dishes.
10. Purge your wardrobe just before the holidays, at a consignment shop if possible, to make room for all the things you will get after the holiday shopping rush is over.
11. Make an early list of everything you want to accomplish in the New Year and check off your bucket list as you make advancements, reaching your goals.
12. Try new things, interests, passionate connections, a vocal class, a dance class, a yoga class and get your friends to join you.
Catch my new television show, The Evan Michael Show on my18 & the CW networks New Years Day 2014.