I love getting to see other people’s homes. I love seeing what makes them feel comfortable in their private settings. Our homes are certainly an extension of who we are from outside in. What covers the walls of our homes gives us hope, brings back memories, changes our mood and helps us relax. A few scientists I know study the brain and what they tell me is that you can make your home sweet. Here are some hints for an entertaining happy, sweeter, home:
1. Put it back — If you have a room in disarray. Take the time to fix it before you leave the room … Mess causes stress.
2. Make your bed every day — It reminds you that a nice bed awaits you when you are turning in for the night. A neat bed results in a good nights sleep.
3. Journal — Every night, write down the things you accomplished for that day and the things you want to work on tomorrow.
4. Terra Firma — Cleaning and washing the dishes are things we all have to do, so crank up your favorite music and knock it out.
5. Display memories — Keep photos of your loved one, of places you’ve traveled to and your vacation experiences around your home as keep sakes. Take a moment to reflect on why you are keeping that memory alive.
6. Wake up with a plan for your day — Every day is a gift that should be opened and shared with others, gifts that can keep on giving. Buy/invest in things that open up the door of opportunity for gatherings with friends. Picnic and grilling tools are essential.
7. Do small favors for your housemates — Surprise them by making up the bed for your loved one. Take the trash out. Make breakfast!
8. Unplug — Try to keep a place in your house where you don’t allow electronic gadgets to get in your way of doing what you need to get done with your family.
9. Call a loved one today — I mean really. Go right now. Yes, put the magazine down and go call, come back and read No. 10 later. I will be right here.
Welcome back. How is your loved one doing?
10. Get in touch with something reflective inside of you. Yes you, regardless of what your spirituality — or belief is — or — non belief is, as the great Joan Rivers would say “Can we talk?” What are you happy about in your life and why? Communicate this with yourself daily. Or, if that’s not you at all, how about you buy, or make friends with, someone who owns a hot tub and soak, remember home sweet home is all about you making it sweet!