Spring is here and many of us have already started our spring-cleaning for a fresh start this season. Reorganizing and decorating your home is a great way to freshen up your look. Training the eye to see something different does not always come naturally and changing things up can be a difficult task. Here are some home décor tips to freshen up your space and add a touch of spring to your home.
- Place items in odd numbers or groupings (i.e. pillows, book placements)
- Paint a wall an accent color
- Bring in plants and fresh flowers
- Lay an area rug — try a bold pattern
- Warm up a room with mirrors. It also helps bring in natural light and brightens the space
- Add textures, such as silk, velvets and furs
- Let gold and silver hang out together. Metallic finishes complement each other!
- Mix patterns like polka dots and stripes
- Add height and dimension to your décor objects (i.e. mix different shapes and sizes of objects such as a candle display)
- Hang curtains higher above the trim to give the illusion that the room is bigger and taller
- Stack or layer books
- Use unique objects as bookends
- Add some color or pattern. Throw pillows are a great décor piece for that. You can change them out every season without spending a fortune.
- Decorate with trays for a chic look
- Use old glass milk jugs and containers and put some fresh or fake greens in them for added eye candy
Melissa Dowrick is a MSU graduate, M3 Group event planner and a dog mom of two. She loves fashion and fall is her favorite season. She embraces all the good things because life is too short to be unhappy!