I wanted to create a Halloween decoration that I could display outdoors alongside my current decorations. When I saw these concrete pumpkins, I knew they would be perfect!
What you’ll need
- One plastic pumpkin-shaped candy bucket, this is your mold
- Quick-setting concrete
- One bucket for mixing concrete
- One plastic container (an empty cottage cheese container or a large plastic cup)
- Cooking spray
- Plastic wrap
- A brick or any other heavy object
- A utility knife
- Outdoor paint
- Paint brushes
What to do
- Cut the handles off your pumpkin bucket.
- Spray the inside of pumpkin with cooking spray. That way you can easily remove the concrete from the plastic pumpkin when it dries.
- Mix your concrete according to directions on the bag. This is where the water comes in. I used a large bucket to mix mine.
- Pour the concrete mix into your pumpkin bucket, but don’t fill it up all the way because your container also goes in it.
- Insert your container into the opening of your pumpkin bucket. This will create an area for your flowers to go in. I used a large cottage cheese container because I wanted a larger hole. I have also seen other people use a large plastic cup. You will want to spray the outside of your container with cooking spray before putting it in, so that it is easier to remove later.
- Find something heavy to make sure your container stays in place while the concrete sets. Bricks work great if you have them. I used hand weights. I also opted to cover the inside of the container with plastic wrap, so that concrete wouldn’t get on it.
- Let your pumpkin dry for 24 hours and then, using the utility knife, carefully cut the plastic pumpkin and the inside container away from the concrete.
- You can leave your pumpkin unpainted or add outdoor paint to it.
- Add flowers and display your work. You may also use your concrete pumpkin as a large candleholder.