Asparagus Stuffed Chicken with Tomato Basil Cream Sauce
By Winner Naomi Gauldin
Prep and cook time: 45 min.
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
¼ cup flour
¼ cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
½ cup milk
1 Roma tomato, diced
2 Tbsp. basil, chopped
1 cup heavy whipping cream
Salt to taste
1 tsp. white pepper
1 Tbsp. garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. olive oil
6 asparagus spears, washed and ends trimmed to 3 inches
2 slices provolone cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Pound the chicken breasts between plastic wrap or parchment paper to an even thickness.
- Place one slice of provolone cheese on each chicken breast then place three asparagus spears on top of the cheese. Roll up the chicken breast tightly.
- Place on a sheet pan and freeze for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg and milk until blended. Place flour into another bowl and breadcrumbs into a third bowl.
- Remove the chicken from the freezer, and dip each piece into the flour, then the egg mix, then the breadcrumbs. Make sure they are completely coated.
- Place on a greased baking pan and put the pan in the preheated oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until an internal temperature of 165°F is reached.
- Meanwhile, in a small sauté pan, heat oil and sauté garlic for 2 minutes on medium heat. Add cream and reduce in half. Add tomato, basil, salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and serve with chicken and pasta, if desired.