- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup butter (unsalted), softened
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 cups white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix the white sugar, butter and egg with electric mixer or by hand until smooth and creamy.
- When well combined, add the flour, baking powder, salt and vanilla extract. Mix well by hand with a large spoon until the batter starts coming together.
- Split the dough in half and keep half in the bowl. On a lightly floured surface, take half of the batter and, with a rolling pin or with the palms of your hands, flatten to about 1/4 inch and with a heart shaped cookie cutter, press out nine hearts.
- Put on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until the cookies are just starting to turn brown.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to continue cooling. Repeat with the other half of the dough.
- When cool, frost with vanilla frosting and decorate with colored sprinkles.
- Store covered at room temperature for up to one week for freshness.