Cuban Sweet Potato & Black Bean Soup
From the Kitchen of Cathy Blatnik
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups uncooked sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 10-ounce can Original Ro-Tel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies, undrained
- 1 cup green peppers, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 8 cups water
- 2 cups cooked white rice, any brand
- In a small saucepan, make the white rice and set aside.
- In a large stockpot, melt the butter slowly and then add the onion.
- Sauté until the onion is just starting to get tender.
- Add the rest of the ingredients in the order given except the white rice.
- Stir well, bring to a boil and then turn to a simmer and cover for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the white rice, stir and then cook 5 to 10 more minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Cathy is originally from Maryland, but has been living in the Midwest for more than 13 years. She has been "retired" from the paid workforce since 1996 to raise her family, which includes her husband, adult stepson, an adult daughter in college and a son in middle school. She has been baking and cooking for as long as she can remember in "Cathy's Kitchen". She is very excited to be able to share her recipes with other home cooks!