Cuban Sweet Potato & Black Bean Soup
From the Kitchen of Cathy Blatnik
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups uncooked sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 10-ounce can Original Ro-Tel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies, undrained
- 1 cup green peppers, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 8 cups water
- 2 cups cooked white rice, any brand
- In a small saucepan, make the white rice and set aside.
- In a large stockpot, melt the butter slowly and then add the onion.
- Sauté until the onion is just starting to get tender.
- Add the rest of the ingredients in the order given except the white rice.
- Stir well, bring to a boil and then turn to a simmer and cover for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the white rice, stir and then cook 5 to 10 more minutes.
- Serve immediately.