By Winner Shannon Nobles
Makes 6 to 8 servings
12 whole wheat lasagna noodles
2 cups portobello mushroom slices
1 roasted red pepper
2 cups cooked spinach
1 small package of fresh mozzarella, sliced thin
1 tsp. olive oil
15 oz. container of ricotta cheese
1 jar of garlic alfredo sauce
2 cups fresh basil
1/2 cup pure olive oil
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1/3 cup pine nuts
4 cloves fresh garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Mix the basil, olive oil, parmesan cheese, pine nuts, garlic, salt and pepper together in a food processor. Set aside.
2. Boil the lasagna noodles, while sautéing the mushrooms in some olive oil.
3. Meanwhile, begin to cook the spinach.
4. Once the vegetables and noodles are finished cooking, layer four noodles onto the bottom of a baking dish.
5. Mix the ricotta cheese and egg together, and then spread a layer of the finished cheese mixture onto the bottom layer of four noodles. Cover with four more noodles.
6. Pour the pesto sauce onto the next layer of noodles and cover with the remaining four noodles.
7. On the final layer of noodles, pour the alfredo sauce, top with the mushrooms, peppers and spinach and then top with slices of mozzarella cheese.
8. Put the lasagna in the oven and bake at 350°F for approximately 20 to 30 minutes.
*Note: The lasagna may come out sloppy, but your dinner guests won’t mind! It is delicious, and the extra sauce on the plate can be scooped up with fresh bread!