Ingredients for the Casserole
- 11-ounce baguette loaf (enough for 10 cups of cubed bread)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 5 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
Ingredients for the topping
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- Spray a 9-by-13-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray. Slice the bread into 1-inch cubes and distribute evenly on the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle the chopped pecans on top.
- In a small bowl, place the eggs, milk, cinnamon and nutmeg and beat until well-blended with a large spoon or whisk.
- Pour the mixture over the bread cubes and pecans, making sure all of the bread cubes are covered evenly.
- Cover with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and put in the fridge for a minimum of eight hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375 F and uncover the casserole.
- While the oven is preheating put the melted butter and light-brown sugar in a small bowl. Mix well and then drizzle evenly over the casserole. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the casserole looks set in the middle.
- Turn off the oven and let the casserole sit in the oven for about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and top with powdered sugar or drizzle with maple syrup.
Makes 8-10 servings.