From the Kitchen of Cathy Blatnik
This sweet and crunchy treat can stand alone or be paired with fresh fruit and will definitely keep you full until lunch!
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 1/2 cups quick oats
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix the butter, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger with a large spoon until smooth.
- Add the two different types of oats and combine until all the oats are covered with the butter and honey mixture. Stir in the walnuts and mix well.
- Pour into an ungreased jelly roll pan (11 x 17 inches) and spread evenly.
- Bake for 10 minutes and then turn the oven off. DO NOT open the oven door for at least 10 hours — basically overnight.
- When ready to eat, pull the pan out of the oven and break into small clusters with a spatula, a large spoon or your hands.
Makes approximately five cups.
Store in a covered container or a Ziploc-type bag at room temperature up to one week for maximum freshness.
To make my “on-the-go granola,” I added Craisins, mini chocolate chips and sunflower kernels.