Since my parents no longer live in the family home, many of their belongings went to different members of the family when we cleaned their house out in the summer of 2016. I was able to get a few recipe boxes with some of my mom’s handwritten recipes. Yes, it’s hard to think back that far; but in those many years before the internet and computers, recipes were written on recipe cards. This particular card had a plastic “sleeve” covering it, which makes me think she made them a lot.
My mom is the one that instilled my love of baking. Every Christmas for many years, she would make me a dozen or so pecan balls. It meant so much to me that she did that! I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family does.
- 7/8 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups white flour
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cold water
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (for rolling)
- Put the butter and powdered sugar in a medium bowl and beat with an electric mixer or by hand with a large spoon. Gradually add the flour, pecans, vanilla extract and water.
- Mix with a large spoon until the batter starts to form.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Using the palms of your hands, roll into 30 equal-sized balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let them sit on the cookie sheet for five minutes.
- In a small bowl, put in the 1/2 cup of powdered sugar. While still warm, roll each pecan ball carefully and completely in powdered sugar.
- Store covered at room temperature.