Some like to buy their costumes and others love to create! For those who like to craft their way to Halloween, Pinterest is one of the best outlets for costume-making inspiration. Whether you’re staying indoors or going to a party, Halloween is always a good excuse to relax and have a little fun with your outfit. Buying your costume can be expensive, but when you create your costume, you can give yourself a little more flexibility with the price. A few years back, I ran into a Big Bird Halloween costume and decided to take it upon myself to create this crafted costume. Here is how I created my Big Bird costume:
First I purchased everything I’d need:
· Long yellow boas from the party store
· Nude colored leotard
· Yellow shorts (unless you own some – you can get these for about $10)
· Orange tights
· Fabric for the feet
· Stuffing for the feet
1. Place a thick piece of cardboard in between the leotard
2. Warm up your hot glue gun and make a line of glue – place boas on line of glue
3. Cover the entire leotard with glue and the boas and let cool. Make sure to try it on as you go so you can stretch it out and find places where there are holes and make sure you’re making the pattern you’d like
4. This is the hardest part. For the feet, you’ll want to cut the desired shape in four pieces. Take two of the pieces and place them together. Hand-sew or use a sewing machine to sew the feet shut (like a little pocket) or like you would to create a pillow case. Leave a small opening for your feet to go in, and your ready for your Halloween night!
It’s always fun to have a friend or two that dresses up with you. If you have a friend or a partner that you’ll be celebrating with, consider having them dress up as the cookie monster – like my sister did at my Halloween party!
Melissa Dowrick is a MSU graduate, M3 Group event planner and a dog mom of two. She loves fashion and fall is her favorite season. She embraces all the good things because life is too short to be unhappy!