Pet Poison Prevention

Share!

Since 1961, Congress has made the third week of March National Poison Prevention Week to raise awareness of what is poisonous and how being affected by it can be prevented. Veterinarians and toxicology experts at Pet Poison Helpline urge everyone to remember that not only people can be poisoned.

Pets can be curious, and due to that curiosity, many pets accidentally ingest something that they shouldn’t have. Many people are not even aware that some things that are OK for humans to ingest are poisonous to some animals.

Raisins, grapes, macadamia nuts, onions, garlic, unbaked yeast bread dough, fatty foods and chocolate can be poisonous to pets and lead to health complications.

Be sure to keep your garbage can secured to prevent your pet from ingesting things like coffee grounds, moldy food and bones.

For your bathroom, keep medications out of reach of pets by putting them away in a cabinet or behind a door. Some common painkillers like acetaminophen (Tylenol) and ibuprofen (Advil) are extremely poisonous to pets.

Something else that seems innocuous is vitamins. While many items in the vitamin category are fairly safe like vitamins C, K and E, other vitamins like iron, D and alpha-lipoic acid can be highly toxic in doses that are larger than recommended.

Another way to ensure your furry friend is safe is to secure all pesticides and rodenticides, perhaps locked in a shed in the back yard or placed in safe containers in the garage.

For more information on what can be hazardous to your pets, check out petpoisonhelpline.com. They also have a 24/7 animal poison control center if you are ever in need of advice. Take note – there is a $59 fee for consultation when you call (855) 764-7661.


Share!

Tags: pet safety, poison prevention

Kyle Dowling

Kyle Dowling is an employee of M3 Group and is pursuing a writing degree at LCC. He enjoys fiction writing, video games and movies.

Social Media

JOIN OUR MAILING LIST