There are so many family friendly and fun towns to visit across Michigan during the summer months. While the kids are on summer vacation, why not plan a trip for your family to take and explore the great state!
Detroit: There are many interactive and hands-on activities to explore in the city of Detroit. With Detroit being revamped, you can find wonderful old and new exhibits and culinary experiences!
- Detroit Zoo
- Comerica Park – Sundays are “kid days,” enjoy the baseball park that also duels as a theme park and baseball museum
- Michigan Science – hands on science activities
- Henry Ford Museum
- Greenfield Village
Grand Rapids: Have family time with outdoor activities at some places you can plan a day trip to!
- Frederik Meijer Gardens
- John Ball Zoo
- Art Prize art festival
Traverse City: Traverse City is a beautiful place to go for a day trip (if you live close) and a wonderful time to spend a weekend with your kids! There are so many sights and things to do around the area.
- Beautiful beaches to swim, fish sail and more
- Cherry festival in early July
- Old Mission Lighthouse (you can actually climb it)
Holland: Explore this Dutch village for a hands-on learning experience.
- Windmill Island Gardens – you can climb to the top of DeZwaan, which is the only authentic Dutch windmill operating in the U.S.
Sleeping Bear Dunes: This region of the state has a beautiful variety of beaches and sand dunes where you can climb and admire the views of the lakes. Take your kids out in the fresh air and enjoy time together!
- Climb the sand dunes and enjoy the beaches of Michigan
- Travel along the 64-mile curve of beaches, coves, islands and dunes. Take stops along the way, get out and explore
Upper Peninsula– Take a trip to the Upper Peninsula where only 3 percent of the population lives. This makes for beautiful animal encounters and a playground of outdoor activities.
- Visit the Mackinac Bridge
- Pictured Rocks
- Marquette is a beautiful town to explore and shop as a port town on Lake Superior, with many summer festivals, parks and restaurants.
- Fish, kayak, swim and more
Mackinac Island– Take the ferry to the island and explore an island where cars are not allowed!
- Rent a bike and go around the island
- Take a carriage ride
- Watch fudge get made
- Take the ferry over to the island
- Have high tea at the Grand Hotel